Family History Tool for Pediatric Providers
The Genetics in Primary Care Institute (GPCI) of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics (NCHPEG), March of Dimes, Genetic Alliance, Partners Healthcare, and Health Resources and Services Administration have developed an electronic pediatric family history tool. This work builds on the previously developed “Pregnancy and Health Profile,” a free prenatal genetic screening and risk assessment software for prenatal providers that collects family health history during intake and provides point-of-care clinical decision support for providers and education for patients (Grant #U33MC12786).
Purpose of the Family History Tool
- Support the provider in family history risk assessment and genetic evaluation
- Identify additional evaluation, preventative services, or personalized management for children who are at increased risk for health conditions based on family health history
How it Works
- Collects structured patient (or parent)-entered data about family health history
a. In formative testing, takes an average of 9 minutes to complete questionnaire
- 35 health conditions for family history risk assessment:
a. Includes available interventions for children at increased risk, such as screening or diagnostic tests, additional evaluation or referral, modified management or preventive services, or counseling and education; and
b. Addresses the continuum of care in pediatrics, from infancy to young adulthood
- Builds a medical pedigree that includes first, second, and third-degree relatives and can be updated at any time
- Applies algorithms developed from professional organization guidelines, including AAP and American College of Medical Genetics, and published literature
- Performs automated qualitative risk assessment for genetic and familial risk for the provider
- Presents the provider with clinical decision support in the form of actions for consideration
- Creates a personalized report that can be included in the medical record and documentation of the encounter
- Is built in Health Level 7 standards and interoperable with U.S. Surgeon General My Family Health Portrait and others
Interested to participate in piloting the Pediatric Family History Tool in your practice? Please download the tool at Hughes Risk Apps and review the following fact sheets. Contact Bruce Lin at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Tell us what you think! Take this 3-5 minute survey to provide us with your feedback to inform future update to the site.