- How can the GPCI make a significant impact?
- Integrating genetics in primary care -- why does it matter?
- Why should the pediatric primary care provider be knowledgeable about genetic and genomic medicine?
- What is the importance of genetic medicine for all patients -- not just the patients with rare disorders?
- What is the impact of the Human Genome Project on primary care?
- Why does the average primary care provider need to understand genetic and genomic medicine?
- Why do myths about genetics become perpetuated?
- How have your perceptions with regards to genetics in primary care changed from your experience as being a pediatrician to being a medical geneticist?
- What is the importance of a pediatric family health history?
- What are strategies to taking a brief, yet useful family health history?
- How have advances in genetic testing impacted pediatric health care?
- I received abnormal newborn screening results, but am unable to identify the condition. What should I do?
- How can providers navigate insurance coverage issues for genetic testing?
- Where can I learn about genetic tests?
- As a primary care provider who is not familiar with or comfortable ordering genetic tests, are there other basic things that could be done (such as labs) before referring to genetics that would assist the subspecialists involved in the care of a specific child?
- When is it appropriate for primary care providers to order diagnostic genetic tests (karyotype, FISH, and microarrays)?
- What is the best reference to find out how specific of testing is indicated for particular symptoms or conditions?
- Do you recommend ordering a CGH array (aka chromosome microarray) prior to cytogenetics in evaluation of a child with global developmental delay?
- When, if ever, would it be appropriate to order genetic tests from the emergency department (such as when a critically ill child presents to the ED)?
- What is the primary care providers’ role in the evaluation of intellectual disability?
- Is genetics curriculum well developed in primary care residency programs?
- What is genetic literacy?
- What are genetics competencies?
- What is the role of a community hospital-based genetic counselor and how does this type of provider, in this setting, fit into the patient-centered medical home model?
- How do I access and potentially utilize genetic counseling with respect to prenatal decision making?
Access to Services
- There is no genetic counselor within 300 miles of my practice -- how does telephone counseling work?
- Access to genetic services -- how can we reach the underserved?
Tell us what you think! Take this 3-5 minute survey to provide us with your feedback to inform future update to the site.